Legal Advocacy Projects + Issues
Eviction Prevention and Tenants’ Rights
Are you in Housing Court and facing eviction? Our Legal Advocacy Department provides free legal services to help individuals and families remain in their homes and avoid eviction.
- If you live in Manhattan’s East Side, from 59th Street up, and Roosevelt Island, and your income is below 200% of the federal poverty guidelines ($24,280/year for an individual; $32,920/year for a family of two; $41,560/year for a family of three), you can attend one of our twice-a-month intake sessions at Harlem Community Justice Center (HCJC), 170 E 121st Street, from 10:00 - 1:00 on the 2nd and 4th Mondays of every month.
- You can visit the HRA office at 111 Centre Street to be screened for a referral to a legal services provider, including our intake held at this location once a month.
Do you have a housing problem? Do you have questions about your lease? Is your landlord failing to make repairs or provide you with heat, hot water or other essential services?
- We invite Manhattan residents to attend our upcoming Tenants’ Rights Advice Clinics!
- The next Lenox Hill Neighborhood House clinics will be on October 11th, November 1st, and December 13th from 10:00 - 1:00.
- The next East Harlem Health Action Center clinics will be on September 19th, October 17th, November 28th, and December 19th from 2:00 - 5:00.
- The next Casa Mutua clinics will be on October 18th and
December 6th from 2:00 – 5:00.
Check out our fact sheets for more information!
- The Eviction Process in New York City (Español)
- How Do I Get Help With Rent Arrears? (Español)
- How Do I Apply for a One Shot Deal? (Español)
- What Can I Do About Noise in My Apartment? (Español)
- Do You Need Repairs in Your Apartment? (Español)
- What Are My Rights in My Rent Stabilized Apartment? (Español)
- Repair or Replacement of Appliances in Rent Controlled and Rent Stabilized Apartments (Español)
- What Can I Do if I Have Heat or Hot Water Problems in My NYC Apartment? (Español)
- Housing Discrimination in New York City (Español)
- Discrimination in Housing Based on Source of Income (Español)
- Landlord Harassment (Español)
- Cleanliness and Storage in Your Apartment (Español)
- Do You Have Bedbugs in Your Apartment? (Español)
- How Can I Find Affordable Housing in NYC? (Español)
- What is a Section 8 Voucher? (Español)
- What is a Security Deposit? (Español)
- How Do I Get Repairs to My NYCHA Apartment (Español)
- How Do I File a Court Case to Get Repairs in My NYCHA Apartment? (Español)
- How Do I Transfer to a New NYCHA Apartment? (Español)
- How Do I Move Someone Into My NYCHA Apartment? (Español)
- How Do I Use “MyNYCHA” Smart Phone Application? (Español)
- Does New York State Owe Me Unclaimed Funds? (Español)
- Do You Need Help Paying for Heat? (Español)
- Do You Need Help Paying for Air Conditioning? (Español)