Legal Advocacy Projects + Issues
Eviction Prevention and Tenants’ Rights
Are you in Housing Court and facing eviction? Our Legal Advocacy Department provides free legal services to help individuals and families remain in their homes and avoid eviction.
- If you live in Manhattan’s East Side, from 59th Street up, and Roosevelt Island, and your income is below 200% of the federal poverty guidelines ($24,280/year for an individual; $32,920/year for a family of two; $41,560/year for a family of three), you can attend one of our twice-a-month intake sessions at Harlem Community Justice Center (HCJC), 170 E 121st Street, from 10:00 - 1:00 on the 2nd and 4th Mondays of every month.
- You can visit the HRA office at 111 Centre Street to be screened for a referral to a legal services provider, including our intake held at this location once a month.
Do you have a housing problem? Do you have questions about your lease? Is your landlord failing to make repairs or provide you with heat, hot water or other essential services?
- We invite Manhattan residents to attend one of our upcoming Tenants’ Rights Advice Clinics. The next clinic will held on May 10, 2018 from 10:00 – 1:00. You will be seen on a first-come, first-served basis. You must check in by 12:00. Please bring all relevant housing-related documents with you and you will be seen by an attorney or legal advocate.
Check out our fact sheets for more information!
- Cleanliness and Storage in Your Apartment (Español)
- Do You Have Bedbugs in Your Apartment? (Español)
- Housing Discrimination in New York City (Versiones en español vendrán pronto)
- How Can I Find Affordable Housing in NYC? (Español)
- How Do I Apply for a One Shot Deal? (Español)
- How Do I File a Court Case to Get Repairs in My NYCHA Apartment? (Español)
- How Do I Get Help With Rent Arrears? (Español)
- How Do I Get Repairs to My NYCHA Apartment (Español)
- How Do I Transfer to a New NYCHA Apartment? (Español)
- How Do I Use “MyNYCHA” Smart Phone Application? (Español)
- Landlord Harassment (Español)
- How Do I Move Someone Into My NYCHA Apartment? (Español)
- Repair or Replacement of Appliances in Rent Controlled and Rent Stabilized Apartments (Español)
- Do You Need Repairs in Your Apartment? (Español)
- The Eviction Process in New York City (Español)
- What Are My Rights in My Rent Stabilized Apartment? (Español)
- What Can I Do About Noise in My Apartment? (Español)
- What Can I Do if I Have Heat or Hot Water Problems in My NYC Apartment? (Español)
- What is a Section 8 Voucher? (Español)
- What is a Security Deposit? (Español)